Friday, January 05, 2007

 

American's Freedoms Being Erroded

I don't mean this blog entry to sound like [another] rant about America, but sometimes you discover things about a place that do make you question if it really is like that. It seems to be that the more I read about America, the less "Land of the Free" it seems to me (and, for a change, I'm not talking about the war on terror).

Here's just a couple of highlights I've discovered to give you an idea of what I mean. These aren't "crazy" laws, but things the directly affect people's freedom:-

* Since 1998, new California drivers under age 18 generally have been barred from having other teens in the car with them while they drive.

* Eminent Domain - The government can seize your land for private use if they can prove that doing it will serve what's called "the public good"

* The DMCA

* The Patriot Act. These including more attacks on civil liberty than anything Saddam could come up with.

* Postal mail can be opened by the Government without a warrant.

* Youth curfews - They are a sledgehammer to crack open a nut, and effectively house-arrest everyone for the crimes of a few.

* On-line gambling banned - This is the same country that has Las Vegas. If people want to gamble, why shouldn't they be allowed?

Comments:
I think Rage Against the Machine put it quite perfectly:

Freedom!
Yea right!

The only ones that are truly free are the corporations that run the world. The rest of us are merely slaves to the corporate system.
 
it is to laugh.

my day to day life has not changed one iota in the past ten years except in the ways i have improved it myself.

how about worrying about islamification of your own country?
 
islamification?

I'm more worried by the loony Christian lobby attempting a coup. A cancer that is spreading rather too rapidly. And one that has lead to threats to our way of life.
 
I realy feel for the gamblers in the US. I cant beleive your Congress banned all banks and credit card companies from accepting transactions from online gambling sites which makes you unable to play online poker. What a bunch of hypocrites your state government are. They have the largest gambling operations with lotto, keno, etc. If they truly believed their rhetoric about internet gambling they would cut out the state operations also. And now they are bringing in a law to legalise slot machines. Personally I would have a big grudge against any party that stopped me from playing on a online poker site. I think there must be some way for you guys to get around this problem. Must make you wonder if you are living in the land of the free when it seems the government has full control on what it will and wont let you do.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?