Wednesday, January 17, 2007

 

Advertising "Lies"

Anyone who takes an advert at face value is frankly stupid, just as people who believe what they read in newspapers, so it comes as no surprise to me to see that Colgate has been criticised by the ASA for their claim that "80% of dentists recommend Colgate".

I remember when I first saw it that my first cynical thought was "by 'dentists' they probably include everyone from dentists receptionists to people who work on a toothbrush production line". I think I was wrong. It does turn out, however, that the "dentists" interviewed were allowed to name more than one brand. Presumably any decent dentists would recommend any and all toothpastes over none at all, so it wouldn't surprise me if all toothpastes could make the same claim. Thus what is surprising is that 20% of dentists *wouldn't* recommend Colgate.

Anyway, my point is "don't believe adverts". Even for a second. They are as good as the British Government when it comes to hiding the real truth and twisting a language to their own ends.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?