Monday, August 21, 2006

 

GM food creeping up on us...

If I was cynical (which I am), I would say that the business plan of any GM food producer is a combination of trying to give it to us without our knowledge, or contaminate all other non-GM varieties of the same product with the GM variety, so we then have no choice but to eat it.

Anyway, on a not-unrelated note, Japan has suspended US long-grain rice imports after supplies were found to contain a genetically engineered variety that is unapproved for sale. The European Commission said it was seeking information from US authorities "with the utmost urgency".

And the main US response has been: "There are no human health, food safety, or environmental concerns associated with this (genetically engineered) rice." Sorry, but I don't believe you, and I don't believe you can even know the full repercussions of GM foods.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?