Thursday, May 04, 2006

 

Voter Apathy

Is it any wonder? What is the point in voting - though I'm not talking about the fact that politicians never do what they say they will do. I'm talking about the "first past the post" system. In the last election, out of people who actually voted, Labour only got one-third of the vote (they only got one-fifth of the vote from all those eligible). So more people didn't want Labour than wanted them, but they still stayed in power! The rest of the votes were spread out among the other parties, so no single party got more than Labour.

I've got the same conundrum next time I vote that everyone else has - who do I vote for since I don't want Labour to win? I have to try and guess who everyone else might vote for. So voting has turned into guesswork, which may or may not be the right answer. So what's the point of bothering?

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?