Sunday, April 30, 2006

 

The Greetings Card Industry

...makes all it's money from guilt. I was in Clintons yesterday, and discovered there is a new "card" day of the year - "Nurse and Carers Day". Call me tight, but the greetings card industry doesn't invent these days because it feels sorry for nurses and carers, but only because it wants to sell more cards. And a quick look at the Card Calendar at Clintons website shows that they're not afraid to invent new ones.

Put it this way - if you have 12 people close to you (in that you would send them a birthday card); two are your parents; two are your grandparents; one is your boss (or maybe several?); one is your nurse/carer; one is getting engaged; one is getting married; one is having a baby; one is having a christening this year; one is your partner (i.e. requirs a valentines card). On average you are looking at buying a card every two weeks because of the various special days that exist. And this is only if you know just 12 people. Any more, and you're buying more cards. And because they've invented these days, any nurses/carers or whatever who don't get a card are going to feel put out.

And who invents these days anyway? What authority to they have? I feel like writing a letter to Clintons and saying "actually, it isn't Grandparents day on the 23rd September, believe it or not. It's a Saturday."

Don't get me started on the ring industry. Eternity ring? What??

Comments:
I opted out of that nonsense years ago. Clinton's would go bust if they relied on my patronage. Don't do Christmas, don't do birthdays, don't do artificial "special" days.

If I want to give a gift, I do so spontaneously because I see something that I think the person concerned will like and appreciate - I don't need a Clinton's day to decide for me.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?