Wednesday, February 15, 2006

 

Victory For Non-Smokers

It still amazes me that smokers can proclaim a loss of human rights to be able to smoke in a pub. I just heard Joe Jackson on Today on Radio 4 claiming there's no evidence of passive smoking causing cancer, I pay my taxes etc. etc..

Never mind the cancer, what about the non-smokers who have to put up with smoke in their eyes, the iritation causing their noses to run, and probably the worst - coming back from the pub after only an hour and all your clothes smelling like a bag of tobacco. I think the tax on fags should be increased to subsidise washing powder for non-smokers.

Comments:
Interesting point. I'm a non-smoker, yet am broadly opposed to the ban. I detest the habit - for all the reasons you have listed. All I do, though is avoid smoky places.

I would much have preferred a sensible compromise arrangement whereby smoking is banned (quite rightly) in eating establishments, but otherwise, public houses given the option to provide choice for the consumer.

I would always opt for a non-smoking lounge if given the choice. The reason many non-smokers like myself are suspicious of the ban is the "what next?" question. What next will government decide that it is appropriate to curtail "for our own good"? I ride a motorcycle - will they ban those next?

PS - thanks for the link.
 
Hi,

I think my problem is that most of my friends smoke, so when we go to
the pub or whatever it's always to the "smoking area" (if there's a
choice), since I'm obviously in the minority. Anyway, I take your last
point - after the "ban" on foxhunting, I'm counting the days before
fishing is illegal.

Keep up the good work,

Stephen
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?